Formed in 1978 - originally born out of an idea to manufacture insulated products to compete with epoxies, which were expensive, slow to produce and labour intensive.
The first breakthrough was when our 11kV insulators could withstand short circuit tests on switch panels, where the epoxy ones had shattered.
Then followed successes with moulded air type through bushings. The correct mould design bushings were produced to overcome partial discharge problems. Accelerated ageing tests proved the suitability of this application.
• In 1983 Allbro achieved the SABS permit to manufacture insulated bushings to SABS 1037 specifications.
• In 1995 Allbro was listed as an approved supplier of the bushings for Eskom.
• In 1998 Allbro was accredited as an ISO 9000 Company.
• In 2001 Allbro Industrial Marketing CC (known as AIM) was formed to market switchboard panel accessories.
• In 2003 Composite Technical Solutions CC was formed to manufacture DMC and SMC moulding materials.
• In 2005 Allbro became an Approved Supplier of pole mounted distribution boxes to Eskom.
• In 2005 Allbro became an Approved Supplier of transformer bushings for the revised Eskom Specifications.
• In 2007 Allbro formed further close corporations for it's other two divisions, due to control and expansion of business. Bringing to six the number of companies within the Allbro group, namely: Allbro industries (Pty) Ltd., Allbro Enclosures CC, Allbro Industrial Marketing CC, Allbro Transformer Equipment CC, Comtecs CC (Moulding materials) and Lezmin 2909 CC ( Property )
• In 2007 the directors of Allbro purchased outright the property at 121, 13th Avenue and constructed additional factory / warehouse facilities of 5000 square metres. This brings our total area facility at this location to 8500 square metres.
• In March 2011 Allbro acquired the interests of the ABB Enclosure division. The entire enclosure manufacturing operation at Botshabelo in the Free State was purchased from ABB South Africa. Thus expanding our range of enclosures into specialized thermo plastic and thermoset DMC types. The 7500 square metre facility adds significantly to our manufacturing capabilities. The additional ranges of Enlec, Okari, Utilec and Terminal Enclosures will compliment our product line up enabling ALLBRO to offer a comprehensive package both locally and for markets worldwide. This acquisition, makes ALLBRO the largest manufacturer of insulated enclosures in Africa.
We continue our on going research to contain costs, whilst developing new products and maintaining our focus on quality.